Monday, October 12, 2009

Found in our basement....

I know most of you have heard this story by now. But I still need to document it here. We moved a couch out of our basement to give the kids more room to play and the next week we found mushrooms growing where the couch was. YUCK!














Mike said there was a crack in the foundation under the window in that room. So we tore the wood off the wall and saw the black sheetrock!














I am afraid of mold. So this was horrible!
I quarentined the room and had Mike pour bleach over it.















We tore the carpet out and decided that we were going to remodel that room at the same time we were remodeling our stairway into our house.














We have taken all the wood off the walls and the drop celing down. We chipped the rock off the wall behind the fireplace and rented a jack hammer to bust it up off the floor. We took the fireplace out (we dont use it). Then Mike fixed the crack in the foundation outside and inside, found another crack behind the fireplace under the chimney and got it fixed too. We poured new cement on the floor to level it out and sheetrocked the celing. Then built a storage closet to store all the kids games and extra stuff. The window needed a lot of work. It was not sealed, they fixed that! We are now in the process of mudding the seams and hoping to texture this weekend. We are so thankful to Mikes Dad that came up everyweekend for months to get things done. We are almost there!

2 comments:

Jamie and Tom said...

Oh my goodness! That is a crazy story! I'm glad you get to remodel the room now though! That is always fun! I'm sure the kids will love it once it is done. It looks way good so far! And I'm with you... mold scares me.

Kira said...

Nice! Grandpa sure is a handy guy - you're lucky to have him living so close! The basement looks awesome.