Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dermatomyositis

I had this Muscle Disease when I was 7 years old.........

Dermatomyositis (dur-muh-to-mi-uh-SI-tis) is an uncommon inflammatory disease marked by muscle weakness and a distinctive skin rash.
Dermatomyositis may occur at any age, but it mostly affects adults in their late 40s to early 60s, or children between 5 and 15 years of age. Dermatomyositis affects more women than men. The signs and symptoms of dermatomyositis usually develop gradually, over weeks or months.


The most common signs and symptoms of dermatomyositis include:

§ A violet-colored or dusky red rash, most commonly on your face, eyelids, and areas around your nails, knuckles, elbows, knees, chest and back. The rash, which can be patchy with bluish-purple discolorations, is often the first sign of dermatomyositis.

§ Progressive muscle weakness, particularly in the muscles closest to the trunk, such as those in your hips, thighs, shoulders, upper arms and neck. The weakness is symmetrical, affecting both the left and right sides of your body, and tends to gradually worsen.

Other dermatomyositis signs and symptoms that may occur include:

Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)

Muscle pain or tenderness

Fatigue, fever and weight loss

Hardened deposits of calcium under the skin (calcinosis), especially in children

Gastrointestinal ulcers and intestinal perforations, also more common in children

Lung problems

I thought that it was cured. But yesterday I found out that NO is is uncurable! I was in Remission. It can come back at any time! Can you see me crying now.... I think that is what is going on with me.

I am not as bad as when I was 7 years old. I do have muscle fatigue and it does take over my days. But when I was 7 I couldn't ride a bike or step up to get on the school bus. Eventually I couldn't dress myself or sit up on my own.

I am wanting to go to the Dr and find out for sure if it came back. I dont have insurance so I dont know if I can afford to go. I have an Awesome Friend that is a Massage Therapist and she makes my muscles feel so good! I am hoping that with her help and walking every day I can keep it manageable and have healthy life.

No comments: